Dream Theater – Images, Words & Beyond 25th Anniversary Tour
It is 25 years ago Image and Words was released by Dream Theater. So an anniversary tour was set up, an evening with Dream Theater, with no support. This way they were able to play for nearly three hours! Despite of being a Wedneday evening, the show was completely sold out. And I guess due to the average age of the fans, all parking spots were taken. It took me another round to find a free spot. But I made it just in time. During the first act I couldn’t get in the concert room, I had to stand in the doorway. But when the band took a break, I could catch up with my friends right after the front of house.
The songs were accompanied by a nice light show. Furthermore no extra’s. But hey, Dream Theater don’t need any adornment, it’s the music that counts! And they did it again (can’t remember seeing any ‘off show’).
The setlist for this evening (and I guess for the entire tour, with maybe some little changes in extensions):
- (Intro) The Colonel
- The Dark Eternal Night
- The Bigger Picture
- Hell’s Kitchen
- The Gift of Music
- Our New World
- Portrait of Tracy (John Myung solo)
- As I Am (with a little bit of Metallica’s ‘Enter Sandman’)
- Breaking All Illusions
Act 2 (Images and Words):
- Happy New Year 1992 – Intro Tape
- Pull Me Under
- Another Day (outro Jordan Rudess keyboard solo)
- Take the Time (outro John Petrucci guitar solo)
- Metropolis Pt. 1: The Miracle and the Sleeper (drum solo Mike Mangini)
- Under a Glass Moon
- Wait for Sleep (intro Jordan Rudess)
- Learning to Live (outro Jordan Rudess)
Encore (A Change of Seasons):
- A Change of Seasons: I The Crimson Sunrise
- A Change of Seasons: II Innocence
- A Change of Seasons: III Carpe Diem
- A Change of Seasons: IV The Darkest of Winters
- A Change of Seasons: V Another World
- A Change of Seasons: VI The Inevitable Summer
- A Change of Seasons: VII The Crimson Sunset(outro)
Just before the show, there was no one at the merch. So I could grab a shirt quickly. I choose the 25th anniversary one. On the front it’s clear it’s about 25 years, a very small burning heart from ‘Pull Me Under’ and the girl form the cover of ‘Images and Words’ on a ladder.
All towns for the tour on the back, no tourdates, and again the little girl.